Re: Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 02:38:32PM +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > I'd also like to see some of the restrictions on spins loosened a little
> > bit. I think the spin/remix distinction (Fedora-only software vs.
> > combined with other things) is good, but, for example, spins, maybe it
> > *would* be okay to change software defaults in a way that isn't
> > currently allowed.
> Is there a "way that isn't currently allowed" actually?  Spins can put
> anything into %post, and some do modify configuration.  (If nothing else,
> the desktop spins change the default desktop...)

I don't know to what degree this is enforced, but
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Guidelines contains a big warning:

  Do NOT change the default behavior of applications. An example is to
  configure Nautilus to use the "Browser mode" by default. There may be
  valid reasons to change parts of the application, but you'll need to
  discuss them with the Spin SIG in your proposal.

Although that is only in the "Live Spins" section. "Installation Spins" says
"No notes on Installation Spins yet" (as it has for at least the last four
years). Not that I'm one to talk -- documenting stuff is hard. :)

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>