Re: Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 01:34:09AM -0800, Dan Mashal wrote:
> So where do we currently stand with this?

So, here's what *I'm* thinking.....

Spins clearly have enough popularity and importance that we either need to
keep them or have some alternative that fills the same space and makes
people at least as happy or happier. Since I don't know of any idea for
alternatives, we clearly should keep that.

Some spins might want to investigate alternative delivery methods. I'm
thinking particularly of the non-desktop-environment spins. Some of them
could maybe be delivered as groups of applications in Gnome Software
(although that's also clearly not appropriate for all), or maybe there's
interest in pushing the Fedora Formulas idea futher.

I'd also like to see some of the restrictions on spins loosened a little
bit. I think the spin/remix distinction (Fedora-only software vs. combined
with other things) is good, but, for example, spins, maybe it *would* be
okay to change software defaults in a way that isn't currently allowed.

I think some spins are completely fine staying as spins forever. Other
groups might be interested in becoming a Fedora capital-P Product. *I* don't
think we want more than a handful of these, but maybe it turns out that we
actually do collectively. So, for spins that are interested in targeting a
particular target space, there should be a process to get there.

Earlier I had suggested that I was thinking that this would parallel what
Fedora does with primary and secondary architectures, and that current spins
might all become "secondary products". This discussion makes me think that
that's not quite right. Stanislav Ochotnický suggested that "incubating
products" might be better, in line with the Apache process:
https://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html (Although
we're structured somewhat differently from Apache, so we can't just lift
that wholesale). Not all spins would be interested in this (again, fine),
but the ones that are could have a clear path to follow.

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>