Re: dnf versus yum

Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> border cases where you can use --nodeps

What does --nodeps have to do with this?

> this is *really* a border case where download and "rpm -Uvh --force"
> is the way to go

No, you should do it correctly.  First, AFAIK rpm doesn't have the magic
kernel behavior, so your "-U" will upgrade, not install, and you can't
upgrade to the same package version (I don't think --force overrides
that, but I haven't tried it myself).  Second, --force should be banned
from any recommended rpm usage; there is virtually never a good reason
to do that (I haven't used it in many many years).

> > Also, even removing every kernel RPM will not render your system
> > "non-recoverable".  You can always use a boot CD, and in modern Fedora
> > systems, the "rescue" kernel/initramfs are never removed (not owned by
> > any RPM), so you should always be able to boot that
>
> you can do that, i can do that
> the ordianry user - i doubt

The "ordinary user" won't do "yum erase kernel" either, so that's moot.
The rescue kernel is another option, right there on the boot menu; if
you actually removed all running kernels, it would be the _only_ Fedora
option (and the only option at all on a system without multiple OSes
installed, so booted by default).

In any case, this is still a very minor side issue, and should not
derail practical dnf discussions.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>