Re: communications and community [was Re: Lack of response about sponsorship]

On 21 October 2013 11:48, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:07:25 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > As a first step, I suggest clearing up the intended usage of "devel" list.
> > There's too much traffic on that list. 792 messages so far in October.
>
> This is way down from the peak 5-7 years ago.

What is the reason? More people avoiding MLs like the plague?
Too many MLs? Too many communication channels other than email?

I'm sure more traffic on the -announce lists will have critics pop up like
mushrooms, too.

It's still too much traffic on devel list. Do new packagers subscribe to
it? Do they subscribe to packagers list? What experience have other people
made? If I wanted to address all potential sponsors for packagers, what
list would I post to?

A couple of years ago, one would be informed well when following devel
list. This has changed. A couple of years ago (also related to the old
lists for Red Hat Linux distributions, not RHEL), one could be certain
that a couple of important people ("leaders") would see the post and react
eventually or take it elsewhere. I have doubts it works like this anymore.
Even during IRC meetings, one can see people moan about the work that
would be necessary when changing policies/processes (= somebody preparing
a "beautiful" draft first).

> Anyway, though, I think you're suggesting that the solution is more lists,
> more carefully defined and finely separated. That seems likely to make
> things more segregated, not less.

I think there are too many lists. Too many to choose from. I miss the
dist-specific lists.

I think there are too many lists with "no description available".

I think there are lists such as "epel-announce" that are superfluous,
and it's highly likely that hardly anybody knows when to post to them.
Watch the last few months:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-announce/

Nobody paying attention there? Everyone happy with that? A "put up or shut
up" reply might follow next.

I am not saying shut-up but I am saying that I am confused by what you mean. First you seem to advocate more lists, then you advocate less lists. First you advocate too much email then you want more communication. I am guessing, and I really mean guessing that you mean that you want more signal and less noise but I going to guess that for most of the people sending email to the lists they believe they are sending signal and not noise.. so what we need is to know more about what you (and eventually everyone else) means by signal for you.

Does what I say help any to clarify my confusion?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.