Re: Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

On 09/09/2013 10:54 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
Thank you for the put down. However, firstly I'm not referring to the
fqdn issue, but the mention of dropping user name and secondly I'm not
the administrator of all the systems I use. I was simply trying to
provide some user input here.

My proposal is not about dropping the username from the command prompt nor do I think that would be wise doing so in fact I would be against such an proposal for the exact same reason I'm trying to have us switch to using fqdn by default instead of using short hostnames.

I'm simply asking that we go from this...

[testuser@www ~]$

to this

[testuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ~]$

Since you as an administrator cant clearly tell the difference on the command prompt if you are logged into the container/vm/server with the fqdn of www.example.com or www.example.org.

Both are being displayed as "[testuser@www ~]$" at the command prompt to the administrator which forces the administrator to run additional command to figure out which host he's currently logged into each time before starting working on it.

JBG