Re: Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-08-14)

On 08/15/2013 03:47 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:36:53 -0400
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Interesting since they did not do that when I joined QA what 5 or 6
years ago so again can you refer me to that discussion.
It's always been a test case/critera that I remember...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20070117#Fedora_7

Shows upgrade test cases were there in Fedora 7 and one of the things QA
was testing and ensuring.

We tested for it to a limited extent ( via yum ) but we never officially supported it.

We always stayed away from opening that pandora box and it was not until we found out that someone had stamped upgrades to be "officially" supported that we actually properly defined what should be tested, added the criteria for it and made it release blocking.

And the discussion around who "officially" stamped it and why is what I'm looking for ( not that it has been technically possible for number of years ) and I'm pretty sure it was neither Jeremy,Will,Chris or Seth that pushed for that "official upgrade" stamp when they introduced pre-upgrade once they had finish writing it, since all four knew the ramification for us in QA by doing so.

I can tell you that fedup blindly inherited the "offically upgrade tool/support" from pre-upgrade by fesco decision, while Will was still scratching his head designing/writing it and Tim being the only one that was properly testing what Will threw over the wall.

To many including me that seemed like an odd decision making instead for example simply not "officially" support upgrades ( thus not making it release blocking ) until that tool had been written.

JBG