Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 06:10:36PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 05:39:33PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> >> This proposal doesn't seem to make rings 0 or 1 particularly more
> >> integrated - just smaller; and it places a higher barrier to entry to
> >> adding useful functionality to the core.
> > I didn't intend to say that.
> To clarify (and ignoring the "higher barrier" that's discussed in the
> second paragraph), are you actually proposing that ring 0/1 should be
> more integrated than what we are doing now?

Yes, I think it's basically inherent. However, I did leave the specifics of
that out of this proposal, because it's fairly long as it is. I'm expecting
we'll work out exactly what's in the ring 1 and the rules for it as we go
forward, and I expect your "base design" work to be part of that. (I hope!)

As a matter of getting there, though, the initial ring 1 _can't_ be any more
integrated than any selection of packages from Fedora is today, because
that's our functional starting point. Then, we'll iterate from there.

> It seems to me that these are inevitable consequences of giving SIGs
> more freedom and power to override some policies: if we allow SIGs to
> avoid RPM, why wouldn't we allow them to avoid libmyperfectdns that
> has been added to Ring 0?  (And this is why I think the "higher
> barrier" will arise in practice - we can make the core better all we
> want, but getting the new features adopted will be more difficult than
> now.)

I think it will depend on why "libmyperfectdns" is in core. Let's assume
it's a very disruptive change. Currently, were that a new Fedora "change",
we might propose patching every package that needs it to use the new
library. Maybe we even block the release for it. More likely, we'd stage the
change over several releases, leaving "liboldreliabledns" in place until
it's ready for all consumers. I don't think that process would be much
different.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>