Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 05:39:33PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> This proposal doesn't seem to make rings 0 or 1 particularly more
>> integrated - just smaller; and it places a higher barrier to entry to
>> adding useful functionality to the core.
>
> I didn't intend to say that.

To clarify (and ignoring the "higher barrier" that's discussed in the
second paragraph), are you actually proposing that ring 0/1 should be
more integrated than what we are doing now?

>> Want to add new a JSON library, HTTPS library with OCSP support, DNS
>> resolver to the integrated core?  Sorry, 30% of the stacks are on a
>> 2-year lifecycle and can't use it now; other 30% have decided to ship
>> unmodified upstream code and will not integrate any Fedora
>> Core-specific patches.
>
> I definitely didn't intend to say the "sorries" you've put there. In fact,
> quite the opposite. How can I make that more clear?

It seems to me that these are inevitable consequences of giving SIGs
more freedom and power to override some policies: if we allow SIGs to
avoid RPM, why wouldn't we allow them to avoid libmyperfectdns that
has been added to Ring 0?  (And this is why I think the "higher
barrier" will arise in practice - we can make the core better all we
want, but getting the new features adopted will be more difficult than
now.)
    Mirek