Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:22:07 +0200
Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > but as a test do:
> > echo | journalctl -x --no-pager --since-today | mailx -s "Today's
> > Journal" user (real isp email )
>
> What's the "echo |" supposed to do?

For some reason first few emails, without it had nothing.
Could be I am using rawhide on this.

> Note that --no-pager is implied if you pipe the command.

Did not know this.

> Also note that it's --since=today, not --since-today.

typo on my part.

> Well, you added "-x" to the command line, so you get the message
> catalogue entries added in. Don't do that, and it is going to be
> smaller

But -x is one of the good benefits.
Giving explanation.

> Also, note that it's not defined where /var/log/messages is
> rotated, but "journalctl --since=today" will give you everything of
> today, regardless whether rotated or not.

Agreed

> > So, you are comparing *very* different things.

True,

But once a week my Fedora using children email me their messages,
(in the believe "a stitch in time
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-stitch-in-time.html)

size matters, when on 3G-internet.
They have maybe 5-10gb p\m. depending on plan.

Lot of non-sysadmin people using Fedora.
Because they can do their work with it.
Which may not even be in I.T. field.

I am not knocking journalctl, as I stated I like it "with -x"
But, believe keep rsyslog installed by default for Desktops.
Until such time, as there is a gui, can be installed or
run from a live CD\DVD in rescue case
where such buttons\titles as auto-search for journal \
compress journal for email,

I'm not against change.
--
Regards,