Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (Just to mention this: we are neither the pioneer on the
> no-default-syslog feature nor on no-default-sendmail... A lot of other

As a cross-distro chap, I can attest to this. Specially with sendmail.

Everytime I spot sendmail in a Fedora/RHEL/CentOS box I wonder when
will it happen. Together with sudo-by-default (and root logins
disabled & discouraged by default).

Back to the topic, what happens when I boot from a LiveCD to diagnose
a borked machine? Some FAQs that come to mind that google doesn't
answer:

 - The easy part: I run journalctl -r /path/to/rootpart/ -- what if
/var/lib/ is a mountpoint? Can I point directly to the 'database'
file?

 - What guarantees of completeness/consistency  can we expect in
practice from the journal in a hard poweroff situation? What is the
price in terms of fsync() calls?

 - What if the database file is corrupt? On occasion, I have read
partially corrupted logfiles with less. Sure, there was a chunk of
crud in the middle, but I could read past it. While the un-corrupted
bits were far from reliable, they did provide helpful info.

This last item is my main worry. Perhaps working on prototype XOs,
trying to sort out kernel/driver issues is not a mainstream use
case...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff@xxxxxxxxx
 -  ask interesting questions