Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Mon, 15.07.13 12:12, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2013, at 7:37 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If you care about debugging
> > broken systems journaclt is almost certainly the better option.
>
> So far I haven't seen anything in /var/log/messages that isn't in
> journalctl -xb. Is it fair to say that journalctl -xb should be a
> superset of messages (for the current boot)?

The journal will forward everything we have to a running syslog daemon
(or actually, recent rsyslog turned this around and now pulls out
everything it can). However, that only happens during late boot,
i.e. after /var is up. The journal however works pretty much any time,
it is already available in the initrd, and in early-boot. If your initrd
hangs, you can type journalctl and it will give you log messages
already.

This works, since the journal stores things to /run during early boot,
and this is then flushed to /var as soon as that's available.

So, this isn't really about the amount of data, it's about when it is
available. And if your boot-up fails, then journalctl is more likely to
help you than /var/log/messages, since for that you'd first to have /var
mounted... (well, beyond that it's also about the metadata. journalctl
will always provide you with the full set of metadata, while
/var/log/messages by default only contains teh actualy text messages,
timezone-less timestamp, hostname, "tag" and PID).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.