Re: Improving the Fedora boot experience

On 12/03/13 11:31 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
Here's the other large difference between the typical Linux install and
Windows/Mac OS: Linux has choices that can be made at boot.  When the
other OSes update their equivalent to the kernel, they don't leave
multiple kernels installed that can be chosen at boot.  There's no
comparison between Win/Mac boot and Linux because they don't have a
similar choice to offer.

What about having a extra kernel should the newest version critically broke after update? Remember in Microsoft Windows, install works are done by the vendors (Acer, Asus, etc). Apple system boot faster due to tight control on the hardware and software, try to install Apple OS on a barebone system (oh wait, you cannot because of license agreement).

Windows is still ahead in how boot is handled, in that a boot failure
will automatically bring up the boot menu for their "rescue mode"
equivalent (and Fedora, especially with GRUB2, makes it difficult to do
that, since you have to know how to edit the kernel command line to add
"rescue").

Do you mean Windows 8? Granted that I am not expert in that field, I wonder why the boot process are not inspired from the gaming console or XO Laptop. I think the issue is the BIOS on some motherboard (in my case, my desktop BIOS took about ten second with a 2009 ASUS M4N-Pro).

Luya