Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

On 01/29/2013 12:53 PM, Dan Mashal wrote:

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013, Dan Mashal wrote:

    On Monday, January 28, 2013, Máirín Duffy wrote:

        On 01/28/2013 02:06 AM, Dan Mashal wrote:
         > You don't see the point of MATE or Cinnamon? How long did you
        play with
         > them 5 minutes?

        Do you remember the GNOME 1.x => 2.x transition? Similarly to
        how there
        are forks of GNOME now to 'keep the GNOME 2 candle burning,'
        there were
        forks of GNOME 1.x to 'keep the GNOME 1 candle burning.'

        Do you remember what they were called? I didn't; I had to look
        'em up.
        Do you ever wonder what happened to them? Dead projects nobody
        seems to
        remember. Do we really want to switch to a desktop that history has
        shown is likely to become a dead project in a few years?

        http://osdir.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1295

        It also doesn't seem smart to switch from a desktop on the basis
        that
        Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox - kernel developers, not UI experts
        or even
        typical desktop users by any means - don't like it. I think
        switching
        the desktop that has been our default for over 10 years and 18
        releases
        requires just a bit more research and reason than that.

        ~m

    Mizmo*

Please stop. This discussion stopped to be helpful ~10 emails ago and you are not helping to make a consensus about this topic by personal attacks.

Marcela