Re: comps' "standard" group spring cleaning?

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Sure, going through the diff:
>
> -      <packagereq>bc</packagereq>

bc and dc are sometimes used for math in shell scripts (and bc is part
of POSIX/SUS).

> -      <packagereq>ed</packagereq>

I don't know how widely it is used, but ed is also part of POSIX/SUS.

> -      <packagereq>ftp</packagereq>

Either ftp or lftp should still be in the standard install (command line
FTP is sometimes essential, especially when trying to add to a minimal
install).  lftp is bigger than ftp (because lftp does more, such as sftp
and http).

> -      <packagereq>talk</packagereq>

Another thing not widely used but part of POSIX/SUS.

> -      <packagereq>telnet</packagereq>

Commonly used for debugging a wide variety of issues.

> -      <packagereq>btrfs-progs</packagereq>
>
> Will be installed by anaconda if you install on btrfs; can move
> to @core if it becomes the default FS.

There are several common things that you list as installed by anaconda
if needed; that can give you problems if you install in one system or
setup and then move the drive, add other drives, etc.

> -      <packagereq>dmraid</packagereq>
>
> Will be installed by anaconda if you need it.

See above - may be required if you (for example) disconnect all but the
OS drive during install and then put the others back.

> -      <packagereq>lftp</packagereq>
>
> Removed; ftp is in legacy-unix.

If legacy-unix is not part of standard install, that is a poor
justification ("we removed one FTP client, so better remove the other as
well").

> -      <packagereq>mdadm</packagereq>
>
> Will be installed by anaconda if you need it (and pulled in by
> udisks2 if you install that.)

See above - may be required if you (for example) disconnect all but the
OS drive during install and then put the others back.

> -      <packagereq>wireless-tools</packagereq>
>
> Functionality subsumed by iw. Although this is perhaps premature until
> initscripts gets ported to it.

I would think so.  You could remove wireless-tools from comps and add it
as a Requires to initscripts, but then somebody not using wireless
couldn't remove it.

I guess my comments get back to: is there a defined goal, other than
"remove things Bill doesn't use" (not trying to pick on you Bill, but
you did make this list)?  Are we trying to shrink the installed disk
footprint (none of the these are very big)?  Does removing these reduce
install time significantly?

I understand removing support for hardware items that very few have any
more (that's what started this discussion).  I'm just not sure about a
wholesale removal of a bunch of still-useful stuff.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>