Re: comps' "standard" group spring cleaning?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM, <John.Florian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Heya,
>
> I noticed that comps' "standard" group includes a lot of packages that
> were all the hotness in 1990s but aren't really that much anymore. For
> example, irda-tools, pcmciautils, finger, rsh, rdist, pinfo have
> probably had their best times behind them, and probably shouldn't be
> installed by default anymore.
>
> I'd like to propose that maybe it is time to remove these from
> "standard" for F19. Note sure how to proceed on that. Propose a feature?
> File a bug? Is there even a comps "maintainer"?
>
> (Oh, and to clarify this: it's just about what to install by default,
> not about what to ship. It's just that I have a hard time remembering
> when i saw the last laptop with irda or pcmcia ports, and maybe we
> should not install that anymore by default...)
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

I agree with all those suggested, except for perhaps finger.  Unfortunately, I don't think companies ID'ing their employees by number has gone out of style.  I for one will continue to always install finger because I can't remember who 'd54321' is and finger really helps with that.  (Although, I'm also probably the only gray beard in the company that uses this. :-)

maybe i'm weird too, but ya.. i use finger more than who

-greg