Re: raising warning flag on firewalld-default feature

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:43:01AM +0100, Simon Lukasik wrote:
> On 11/22/2012 09:07 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:52:30PM -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> >> Interpreters do not preclude simple data: they just scale better,
> >> from simple linear declarative data to complex, Turing-cranking
> >> swamp. The only argument against it is runtime overhead, which isn't
> >> a problem in many, if not most, cases.
> >
> > It's NOT the only argument against it.  Having Turing-complete
> > configuration files makes it impossible to have other programs parse
> > and understand the configuration.  Programs including:
> >
> >  - OpenSCAP, or any other security scanner
> >  - libvirt (hello, old Xen's python config files)
> >  - multiple libguestfs tools like virt-sysprep
> >  - Augeas and all the tools that use it
> >

> Moreover, If the application (polkit) uses its embedded interpreter to
> assess configuration and the scanner (OpenSCAP) uses it's own way how to
> assess it (even if it differs in a version of the interpreter). --> It
> only opens door for very subtle bugs.
>
> Which leads me to thinking that the applications (which use Turing
> complete languages for configuration) shall provide a comprehensive API
> to query the configuration.

This isn't going to work for SCAP.  SCAP (or more specifically, OVAL)
is a standardized XML schema for assessing the configuration of
systems.  Steve will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe
there's no room for it to be calling out to arbitrary custom
libraries.
http://oval.mitre.org/language/index.html
http://oval.mitre.org/language/about/definition.html

Like it or not, this sort of scanning is extremely useful for cloud
administrators who want to be able to automatically scan disk images
uploaded from non-trusted sources and find out whether they contain
vulnerabilities.  The requirements for configuration files to be
simple and non-Turing-complete are not going to go away.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v