Re: raising warning flag on firewalld-default feature

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jan Zelený wrote:
>> Yes, that's the plan. But dnf is still Python. So if we really want to get
>> Python out of minimal install, there is a room for possible alternatives I
>> guess.
>
> Right. We need to stop writing core system components in scripting
> languages!

Well, there _are_ significant advantages to using a higer-level
language than C.[1]  Using one of the higher-level languages as a
primary development language on par with C often increases the quality
of the software and the time to develop it, in return for an
acceptable loss of speed.  If firewalld were an on-demand,
automatically-terminating D-Bus service, I can't really see any reason
to object to a using higher-level language.

Unfortunately, there's seems to be something significantly
wrong/disliked about every candidate higher-level language.  For
better or worse, the Fedora world is mostly standardized on using
Python in such situations.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it better than
nothing?  I think so.
    Mirek

[1] At least two to mention:
- Automatic memory management, with all associated lack of bugs and
simplified code
- Much easier access to higher-level (and more efficient!) data
structures.  C programs frequently use linked lists instead of e.g.
hash tables simply because maintaining hash tables and the associated
memory allocation is just too complex.