Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 8 (TC8) Available Now!

On 2012-11-11 23:43, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On 2012-11-11 22:02, Panu Matilainen wrote:

Based on a quick grep, it doesn't seem to consider obsoletion at all, which explains what I see on the DVD and perhaps deserves looking at.

I think the basic idea is that pungi isn't supposed to painfully
re-implement yum.

Meh. Of course not. But unlike yum, pungi deals with
space-constrained images and if it ends up pulling useless cruft in
those images then it's not doing the best job it can for the very
specific task it has.

Well, it's one of those things where you have two imperatives and you can't possibly satisfy both: be space efficient but also ensure that any installation done from the images will be complete and sensible. I think pungi makes the choice to prioritize the latter. Any kind of 'space efficiency' code is going to come with a non-zero danger of resulting in dependency problems or odd dependency resolutions, I guess.

If packages are obsoleted, they're supposed to be
retired. If something's obsoleted but not retired, that's a packaging
error.

No disagreement there. But quite obviously nothing is currently
finding those packaging errors, much of the "suspect items" list I
posted has been there for years already. Just haven't gotten around to
mention it anywhere.

I'll shut up now and go see if I can actually do something about it.

I recommend it - it's not hard to probe out why these things happen (usually), and it can be quite fun. BTW, QA does have a test which looks for non-explicit conflicts or incomplete dependencies on the images and we hit those every so often, so we're pretty used to poking through things like this. It often tracks out to something which was a packaging problem in the first place and needed to be fixed. If you wind up getting stuck, poke dgilmore in #fedora-releng, as he should have the logs of the compose to look through which can help identifying some of the issues.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey