Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 05:44:41AM -0500, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> [...]

The scope was not a surprise to us, we knew from the beginning when we
started this that the delivery of all newui work would have to be staged
across multiple Fedora releases.  The key was getting groups like Fedora QA
and FESCo involved early so that they understood and would help us agree on
what list of items should be priority #1, followed by priority #2, and so
on.

I think we had a lot of people in on that, but we didn't really fully
communicate it well enough to each other.  That can be improved in the
future.

> But the new upgrade process - it should be standalone feature,
> we missed dracut feature, same for LVM in Anaconda (again, not
> UI), live medias etc. So most of the problems were caused not by
> proposed/accepted features but by real features we weren't aware of.

Perhaps.  I think there is also a problem with a lack of what a feature
actually is in Fedora.

In both of these examples, we could argue either way that they are features
or not.  It's a new upgrade tool, yes, but it's really just moving the
responsibility of upgrades to somewhere else.  So what's the feature?  If
upgrades are the feature, we're not really changing anything are we?  We're
changing how they're done but you're still getting an upgrade in the end.
Or is the feature the fact that new code is arriving and old code is
leaving?

Likewise with the LVM concern.  I completely see the argument from the
storage team's perspective.  The entirety of LVM is a feature.  But I also
see it from my team's perspective...we're really just changing a default
option in our code.  So what's the feature here?  Who should own defaults
and policy decisions?

It's complicated, but not impossible.

[Also, these questions are intended as an example for how I can see both
sides of the arguments, *not* catalysts for actual new arguments.]

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team