Re: "network" service fails to set wireless parameters.

On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 23:16 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 21:47 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> > > I have a Wifi card that is supposed to be managed by the "network"
> > > service. The interface's IP addresses, prefixes, routes and all that
> > > get assigned correctly on boot, but the wireless parameters – mode,
> > > ESSID and channel – do not get assigned. I have to set those
> > > manually with the iwconfig command.
> > >
> > > I've had this card working before, but I've hacked the ifcfg file
> > > since then. (I've had lots of networking problems since I installed
> > > Fedora 17, so I've been editing the configuration a lot.) It's
> > > possible that I've missed something, so before I file a bug report
> > > I wanted to ask: Does anyone see anything wrong with the ifcfg file
> > > below?
> >
> > Is NetworkManager enabled?  Run "systemctl status
> > NetworkManager.service" to find out; it looks like this connection is
> > supposed to be managed by NetworkManager.
>
> Network Manager is enabled and running, but it manages only one of my
> three physical interfaces. I tried letting it manage this one, but then
> the interface sometimes got its address on boot, and sometimes not.
> Apparently there was some race condition. After I set NM_CONTROLLED=no
> it behaves consistently, only the wireless parameters don't get set.

Could be because your wifi adapter is a recent one, and thus uses the
preferred upstream nl80211 kernel configuration API.  The iwconfig tool,
which is what the initscripts (and thus the old network service) use,
speaks the WEXT kernel configuration API which doesn't work well for
newer devices.  Things are getting moved to nl80211.  In addition, the
wext api of "operation 1, then operation 2, then operation 3" simply
doesn't work well for newer devices, and never worked very well for old
ones, and it's possible that the driver for your wifi device doesn't
like the sequence that the initscripts use.  Which is why WEXT was a bad
API in the first place.  Using wpa_supplicant is the preferred mechanism
for controlling wifi devices these days.

That all said, I'm curious why NM isn't reliable in your case.  Logging
from /var/log/messages usually elucidates any problems.

Dan