Re: Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

On Jun 19, 2012, at 9:57 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> grub2-mkconfig is inherently a more 'destructive' operation than grubby,
> is really my only thought. But I wouldn't mind the change much at all.
> pjones' opinion would be the most valuable to have, I guess.

FWIW, grub-mkconfig writes out a grub.cfg.new file which is only renamed to replace grub.cfg upon successful completion of all scripts. So there is a fallback position if grub-mkconfig is interrupted.

While I like the current GRUB2 behavior in F17 vastly better than F16, I kinda wonder if it makes sense to change the default behavior to save last chosen option and by default use that the next time around, rather than always defaulting to the most recent Fedora kernel. This allows dual-boot users to choose Windows (or Mac OS) once, and consistently get that as their default boot option, rather than having to manually edit GRUB's configuration files to get such behavior.

Chris Murphy