Re: Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

On 06/20/2012 12:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 09:21 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
On 06/19/2012 11:57 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 23:28 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:

So far, the only actual arguments against this (specifically, the
above solution to the problem) I've heard is that it breaks being able
to configure /boot/grub2/grub.cfg by hand. But that's the idea behind
grub2, for better or worse. The documentation specifically tells you
NOT to edit that file, but to instead edit configuration in /etc.

Most of the other arguments raised in response to this seem to have
really been about grub2 itself, and if Fedora has to use it, so.. are
there any other thoughts on the actual matter at hand?

grub2-mkconfig is inherently a more 'destructive' operation than grubby,
is really my only thought. But I wouldn't mind the change much at all.
pjones' opinion would be the most valuable to have, I guess.

I really don't see what the point would be.  We're going to have to keep
grubby for various reasons, not least pvgrub.  So switching to using
grub2-mkconfig to update grub2 config files has numerous downsides, most
obviously:

1) it means new-kernel-pkg would need to be even more complex

As I understood it, the latest version of the proposal involves having
grubby simply call grub2-mkconfig when it is dealing with grub2. So the
rest of the 'stack' doesn't change at all.

This is hardly a substantive difference from what I said; either way,
you're effectively asking me to make something with less features and more
complexity.  In fact making grubby call out to another program is /more/
complex than making new-kernel-pkg do it.

2) it means per-kernel command line changes aren't a thing we can really
     support, which means if for some reason you need a command line option
     to boot with one kernel that's installed and it needs to /not/ be there
     for another, we'll be writing a wrong config every time.

It's not possible to do this through grub2's own mechanisms?

No; it only gives you the same command line for every kernel.

--
        Peter