Re: *countable infinities only

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Michael Scherer <misc@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le mardi 12 juin 2012 à 10:58 -0400, Jay Sulzberger a écrit :
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > > No because secure boot does not limit your freedom in *any* way. If
> > you want to hack on the kernel or other low level stuff flip a switch
> > in the firmware.
> > It is reasonable to expect this type of users to be able to do that.
> > Up until now, installing a free OS did not require the extra > moves, which Fedora admits are irksome.
Not really my own experience, it took me 10 minutes just to find the way
to boot on a usb keys on my 5 year old computer ( to reinstall it ). The
interface is rather bad, first you need to plug the key, see how to
enter the BIOS (not displayed, so I tried suppr, f2, f10, etc, I think
it was Suppr), then make sure that say "boot on harddrive" is first
( that's the default ) and then select the order of the hard drives ( as
I have 2 of them ), with my usb key being one of them.  And of course,
since that's a setting, do not forget to save and exit.

While that's not hard, I do think that qualify as "extra move", and
given the people coming to my LUG for help, I think that my motherboard
is not a exception.

You are right that the old standard BIOSes are often difficult to
use.  But by extra I meant the new Microsoft imposed maneuvers.

> Of course the actions by Microsoft are against anti-trust law in
> the US and in Europe grossly violate the rule against tying of
> software and hardware. [...]
> No.  Our side must here stand and fight.

Well, have you filled a complain yet against that ? Since there was news
about secureboot since months, I think that you had plenty of time to do
it. In fact, even now, since people have time to complain, they can
spend time to do it.

--
Michael Scherer

You are right that more action is required.

On Tuesday 5 June 2012, in Washington DC, in the Main Building of
the Library of Congress, Marcia Hofmann, Jay Sulzberger,
Aaron Williamson, and Brett Wynkoop argued against using the DMCA
as legal backup to Microsoft and Apple's plans to seize all home
computers in the world.  When a transcript of the arguments is
available, I will notify Fedorians.

Below my signature is a notice of the 5 June 2012 event.

On Tuesday 11 May 2012, several of us attended a "Tech Demo Day",
also in Washington, DC, in the new Madison Building of the
Library of Congress.  Brett Wynkoop and I, and other partisans in
the Cause, spoke and here is a video, in a perhaps inconvenient
format, of Brett and my "demonstrations":

  rtsp://rmserv1.loc.gov/avloc12/120511cop1130.rm

My "demonstration" was not as good as it should have been, and,
Heaven forwarding, a better version will be published, in the
next few weeks.

If Fedora appears to accept that Microsoft should have the
Hardware Root Key, our side's arguments, in several arenas, are
weakened.

Further action will be taken.

oo--JS.

  what="LXNY announcements list notice"
  edits="a typo corrected">

 Subject: Tuesday 5 June 2012 Library of Congress: Argument before the Register of Copyrights For and Against the Right of Private Ownership of a Computer

 In Washington DC on Tuesday 5 June 2012 at 1:30 pm in the
 Jefferson Building, there will be a discussion of Proposed
 Exemption 4 to the "Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright
 Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies" which
 prohibition is a part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

 Here is the page for the Jefferson Building of the Library of
 Congress:

   http://myloc.gov/exhibitspaces/jeffbuilding/pages/default.aspx

 Every three years citizens of the United States argue for
 exemptions to the ridiculous "Prohibition on Circumvention of
 Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies",
 which prohibition is a part of the Digital Millennium Copyright
 Act, the DMCA for short.

 If enforced, the "Prohibition on Circum..." ah, let us call it
 the Anti-Circumvention Clause of the DMCA, would give to Apple the
 power to bring a legal action which might result in jail time for
 some of the millions of people in the USA who today have root on
 the iPhones and iPads they use.  And this month, for the first
 time, Microsoft, in partnership with Dell, HP, and Lenovo, will
 be in the same legal position as Apple: Microsoft has arranged
 that all Microsoft Certified Home Computers will only boot an
 Officially Approved-by-Microsoft Operating System.  Under the
 Anti-Circumvention Clause of the DMCA getting root on an Microsoft
 Certified Home Computer will be a federal crime, punishable by
 imprisonment.  (There may be a small exception to this: if you get
 root on the box by yourself, with no one else's help, and you do
 not publish information about your work, getting root may be
 allowed.  In practice such engineering work is always a joint
 work of several, often, many people, and the results of such
 work, that is, the method to get root, is published.)

 The situation is not without hope.  Congress at the passage of
 the DMCA feared that the Anti-Circumvention Clause would grant
 unjust powers to large malign entities such as Apple, Microsoft,
 and Sony.  So Congress asked the Librarian of Congress to look at
 the Anti-Circumvention Clause every three years, and issue formal
 legal Exemptions to the list of prohibited actions.  The Register
 of Copyrights, in cooperation with the Commerce Department, asks
 citizens to propose Exemptions to the Anti-Circumvention Clause.
 Then, after public comment and discussion, the Register of
 Copyrights makes a recommendation to the Librarian of
 Congress, who decides which Proposed Exemptions will be granted.

 The 5 June 2012 meeting in Washington is part of this process of
 proposing, commenting on, and discussing possible Exemptions to
 the Anti-Circumvention Clause.

 New Yorkers for Fair Use, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and
 The Software Freedom Law Center will argue that we should keep
 our right to own a computer.

 The Joint Creators and Copyright Owners Organization and the
 Motion Picture Association of America will argue that we should,
 by enforcement without exemption, of the Anti-Circumvention
 Clause of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, extinguish our
 right to own a computer.

 Below my signature are some pointers to information about the
 Anti-Circumvention Clause and about Palladium, the new, and now
 deployed, serious hardware and software system designed to keep
 root in the hands of Apple, for Apple devices, and Microsoft for
 Microsoft Certified hardware, and Sony, for Sony devices.

 If Palladium is forced into all computing devices, then with the
 backing of the Anti-Circumvention Clause of the Digital
 Millennium Copyright Act, it will be, in the United States of
 America, a crime to own a home computer.

 Come on down to the Jefferson Building on Tuesday 5 June 2012 and
 sit and stand in support of our right to own a computer.

 Jay Sulzberger <secretary@xxxxxxxx>
 Corresponding Secretary LXNY
 http://www.lxny.org

 Wikipedia article on the DMCA:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
  [page was last modified on 1 June 2012 at 02:38]

 Neither Apple nor Microsoft have as yet invoked the
 Anti-Circumvention Clause of the DMCA.  But Sony has, against
 GeoHot, owner-operator of a Sony device, and a serious hacker:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment_America_v._George_Hotz
  [page was last modified on 31 March 2012 at 22:08]

 Explanation of DRM:

   http://www.panix.com/~jays/what.is.drm.3
   [from 2003, still accurate]

 Explanation of Palladium:

   http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/palladium/
   [from 2003, therefore out of date with regard to immediate tactical
    situation; accurate as to what Palladium, now called "secure boot", is;
    present tactical situation worse, Palladium is in every Microsoft Certified
    Computer today, it is also in all iPhones and iPads]

   what="What precisely will be discussed at the 1:30 pm
         Tuesday 5 June 2012 meeting">

   Proposed Exemption 4 was proposed by the Software Freedom Law Center.
   Here is the summary of 4:

     Computer programs that enable the installation and execution of
     lawfully obtained software on a personal computing device, where
     circumvention is performed by or at the request of the device's
     owner.

   from the list of all Proposed Exemptions at

     http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2011/initial/

   The complete full text of the Proposed Exemption 4 is at

     http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2011/initial/sflc.pdf

   The proposal is long and thorough in its argument and its citations.

   The comments on all the Proposed Exemptions may be seen at

     http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2012/comments/

   New Yorkers for Fair Use's plea in favor of
   Proposed Exemption 4 is at

     http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2012/comments/jay_sulzberger.pdf

   We are in good company.  Bunnie Huang's comment is at

     http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2012/comments/Andrew_Huang.pdf

   And Bunnie is joined by 25,000 people in his second comment:

     http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2012/comments/Andrew_Huang_2.pdf

   On the panel, our side is strong.  In addition to Brett Wynkoop
   and Jay Sulzberger of New Yorkers for Fair Use, we've got
   Aaron Williamson, of the Software Freedom Law Center, and
   Marcia Hofmann, of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.