Re: Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:17:09 +0200, AL (Alec) wrote:
[cut]
And for the second part, that somebody has "a good connection with
upstream", I'm not sure how that will help, *if* not even one packager
is available. Worse if the single person with interest in the software
also doesn't want to become the Fedora packager for it.
True. But if a packager is there, it's an advantage to have that connection. Or?

My theory is that packaging actually takes place from time to time despite all these obstacles, and that a motivated upstream contact makes this easier.

IMO, the whole co-maintainer dilemma is that once there is first packager
(aka "the package owner"), everyone else hopes that the package is taken
care of (read: the existing packager does all the work). Of course, in
case of bugs or a package getting out-of-date, still nobody is willing to
contribute.
But if you pick someone's request from an upcoming wishlist, you have the chance to make a contract, so to speak before undertaking to package the thing. Not foolprof in any way, but better than today?!

[cut]
What I cannot take serious: if someone has submitted a package review
request in 2010 and in 2012 complains that the package is still in the queue.
If during such a long time, the submitter has not tried to review the own
package (or a different package in the queue) in accordance with the
guidelines. Very strange are also package submitters, who "talk to themselves"
by posting src.rpm updates in bugzilla without feedback from any reviewer,
but again without saying themselves "hey, I could take a look at the
ReviewGuidelines page myself and try to figure out whether my package is
ready, and if I think it's ready, join a list and announce that".

OT? The question here isn't really what submitters do or don't, isn't it what we could do to improve the process?.

I would really like to reconnect to Jon's reply at http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-April/166429.html. What can we do to support those people who have a great app they wan't into Fedora, without forcing them to be (possibly bad) packagers?

This is related to the sponsorship process if we can find a way for some of those which doesn't include sponsoring a new packager.

--a