Re: Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:59:30 +0200, AL (Alec) wrote:
[cut]
What I'm talking about is  to tell these great people that there are two
ways to get their app packaged. One way is to become a packager, and so
far this discussion is about that path,. Obviously, the requirements
here are beyond knowing an app, though.

The other way should be to find, persuade  (bribe?) a packager to take
care of the package in cooperation with the developer. As I understand
it, there is no such path today(?)  I think it's a pity, because the
cooperation between a developer and a packager is actually a good way of
doing it.
Sure there is!  And that's _two_ people already, who would work on the
package. The theory fails, if there is no volunteer packager to begin
with.

And anyway, how many packages have more than one _active_ maintainer?
It would be fairly easy for interested packagers to become co-maintainers
and become more familiar with Fedora Packaging that way.

I'm not talking about cooperation in that sense. I'm talking about a more formalized way for people who want something packaged to find a packager. As an alternative to force people without informal connections to become packagers for a single package. Because there are many reasons that's a bad idea; you have listed some of them ;) Still, having a good connection with upstream helps, especially in the initial phase IMHO.

Of couse, the theory fails if there is no volunteer packager. Same applies to for sponsorship. But packagers occasionally wants to package things(?) and contacts with someone who wants the thing packaged actually helps. Or?