Re: grub / grub2 conflicts

> There is a further issue #2, quite orthogonal, which is that grub
> (upstream) doesn't support offline installation.  This is a bug in
> grub 1&  2 which really should be taken upstream.

You're still missing the point here. This wasn't a design feature of grub
or of grub2. It's not a bug, it's a thing nobody has ever planned for.
Additionally, there is no grub 1 upstream. You're never going to convince
any "upstream" to change this, because there's nobody working on it. There
hasn't been an upstream since 2005. It needs to be jettisoned into space.

> Nevertheless, it's quite possible to use grub1 offline on compatible
> guests.  We don't really need to "prove" this, because we do it, and
 > test the results, and we publish everything we do in open source code.

And that's not going to be possible when we don't install grub1 on the host
system.

--
         Peter