Re: grub / grub2 conflicts

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 06:30:58PM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 20:11 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > The grub package (as provided in Fedora) is not designed for that. This
> > would be a much easier discussion to have if you stopped describing
> > things that are manifestly true as "not true". And while it is the case
> > that grub *is* binary compatible between every version we've ever
> > released, it is *not* guaranteed that that remains true, or even that
> > it's true between us and any distribution that may be installed in a
> > guest.
>
> If libguestfs had code to detect that the guest version was incompatible
> and failed gracefully with a nice explanation for the user, then there's
> no problem right?

To be reliable you'd need to support disassembling the binaries
installed and working out what the arguments are meant to look like.
This doesn't seem like a great way to spend time. Remember that the
incompatibility isn't between libguestfs and the guest, it's between the
host grub and the guest grub. Both of those can change without
libguestfs's knowledge.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx