Re: grub / grub2 conflicts

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 15:54 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 09/21/2011 03:39 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 18:48 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> Remember that the incompatibility isn't between libguestfs and the
> >> guest, it's between the host grub and the guest grub. Both of those
> >> can change without libguestfs's knowledge.
> >
> > Sounds like we need a 'Conflicts: libguestfs' in both grub and grub2
> > then?
>
> Yes, but this will hardly help the situation, which right now is that the
> distro pulls in grub 2, because that's what we've collectively chosen to do,
> and libguestfs pulls in grub on the host, even though it isn't really using
> it there. So effectively your solution is to keep the problem we've got
> right now.

Sigh. I was joking. Obviously, if maintainers went around inserting
Conflicts with other packages because they don't like how the other
package works, then there'd be an order of magnitude more unpleasantness
on fedora-devel.

Not liking the way libguestfs works is no justification for an arbitrary
grub2 Conflicts in the grub package.

It sounds like there are issues which necessitate the Conflicts - e.g.
the grubby issue - but that they could be resolved. Can we focus on
those issues, what exactly they are and how folks can do to help resolve
them?

Cheers,
Mark.