Re: thanks for F15 mdadm systemd unit

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 01:11:24PM +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 11:43 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> >> I don't know if there is anything, but it's neat to get something like
> >> this 'free' with systemd, without having to add any other package.
> >
> > It is fine for really simple use cases, but the complexity of what autofs does
> > for large deployments is huge....
> >
> > I don't know enough about how systemd does the automount support, it might be
> > leveraging autofs?
>
> It appears to use the kernel autofs support but replaces the userspace daemon
> (and replaces the traditional automounter map file format with system.automount
> unit files).

NB they're not mutually exclusive. You can run the regular autofs userspace
daemon at the same time as systemd. Systemd will look after any mount points
in its unit files, while autofs will look after the mount points from the
traditional /etc/auto.master files. They're both just leveraging the same
kernel API for automounting. Also systemd is only doing direct autofs
mounts, if you want indirect autofs mounts then the regular automount is
the one to use.

Regards,
Daniel