Re: thanks for F15 mdadm systemd unit

On 07/27/2011 11:43 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 01:23 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 07:07 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>>> We track autofs issues for fedora, upstream and RHEL and seems to work well in
>>> the field.
>>>
>>> What specifically does systemd do that autofs does not do without it?
>> I don't know if there is anything, but it's neat to get something like
>> this 'free' with systemd, without having to add any other package.
>
> It is fine for really simple use cases, but the complexity of what autofs does
> for large deployments is huge....
>
> I don't know enough about how systemd does the automount support, it might be
> leveraging autofs?

It appears to use the kernel autofs support but replaces the userspace daemon
(and replaces the traditional automounter map file format with system.automount
unit files).

I can appreciate a benefit for personal systems from systemd managing network
file system mounts since it's in a position to know when the network is up (this
has been a problem with /etc/fstab, NFS/CIFS and NetworkManger for some time)
but I'm not sure that large deployments with existing autofs infrastructures
will be so keen to make the switch.

Regards,
Bryn.