Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

Hi,

Wiadomość napisana w dniu 2011-07-11, o godz. 11:04, przez drago01:

> The same thing applies to system daemons only because it has been done
> like this does not make it right ... and really asking the user to
> edit the source code (yes shell scripts are source code not
> configuration files) is just wrong.It is kind of odd seeing people
> arguing in favor of that ... with the only reason "it has been like
> that for $years".

Drago, please note there is a slight difference between configuration
file and service startup script.
Users are not supposed to edit startup scripts (at least according to
my understanding who is the "user"), I don't remember having to do
this ever.

Also I can't remember any piece of linux software that would require
editing source code / script files.

> Yes people got used to that simply because there where no alternative
> (people adding new scripts simply followed the lead of existing ones).
> But now we have a chance to clean up this mess so we should do that
> and not try to stick to the past forever.

So, while systemd antagonists are trying to scare me with the vision
of this software as a beast, you're using the same arguments to show
they are wrong.
Neither of you are right ;) Systemd is not a beast, but on the other
hand, it's simply not true without systemd our life was a nightmare
and we had to edit source code / shell scripts on a daily basis ;)

I strongly support the appeal to try to increase SNR in this discussion.
Thanks!

--
Jarosław Górny
RHCE: 805008212834187