Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> The suggestion isn't that having the options is wrong

Well, that's what you said before (conveniently snipped from your
reply).  You compared CLI args/env vars to the BKL as something to be
eliminated; specifically, you said (and I quoted):

> In this case there are sound
> technical arguments against configuration by command line argument or
> environment variable

You have still failed to enumerate even one of the "sound technical
arguments".

> it's that having
> them as the primary means of configuration is poor design. If your
> entire configuration takes the form of a shell script that constructs a
> set of command line options then you've increased fragility for no
> benefit. Having a proper configuration file and allowing admins to
> override specific aspects of that from the command line isn't a problem.

You are moving the target (to a worst-case example) and still not
winning your argument.

This is more than theoretical to me; a small package I maintain is one
example of a command-line configured daemon.  The shmpps daemon is a
tiny little daemon that reads a timing pulse-per-second and updates a
shared memory segment.  It uses a few command line arguments to set the
source port/type and shared memory segment destination; right now, that
is done for the init script by a file in /etc/sysconfig.

This is a small, light-weight daemon, and doesn't need a configuration
file parser.  This is a valid way that Unix daemons have run for
decades, and you are saying that should be removed.  I guess every small
daemon now needs to include its own config file parser, replacing the
already-existing getopt() call?  How is this "better"?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>