Re: GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 13:05 -0400, Bernd Stramm wrote:

> It all looks very pretty though.

Maybe someone can answer this...

All of the fade and animation effects that a lot of the
toolkits/desktops are using these days seem like they're making the
responsiveness substantially worse.  I'm not referring to machine
performance so much as the amount of time it (seems) to take to be able
to interact with something.

So, my question is:  are the effects increasing the time between
requested action and the ability to interact, or are they covering up
the "dead" time that would have been there anyway, a la startup screens?

>From my vantage point, I'd much rather have things just snap on/off
instead of watching them be all analog-y :)

Brian