Re: more updates discussion

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 23:38:38 +0100
> FranÃois Cami <fdc-lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Kevin Kofler
>> <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I think this issue goes far, far beyond just KDE. There are
>> > packages which have few users even for Fedora n, let alone n-1.
>>
>> That may be pure speculation, but it seems that Fedora contributors
>> testing updates only use Fedora n because they tend to upgrade as soon
>> as the next release is available. We have a few choices, including:
>> * actively deciding that n-1 will receive less updates than n (good, I
>> think, because the worst kinks should be hammered out of a distro in 6
>> months anyway, so that leaves more or less security).
>> * pushing updates for n-1 no matter what testing they've had (bad).
>> Any other option I haven't thought of?
>
> Some more:
>
> * Try and increase number of people testing N-1/N-2 updates.
>
> a) Be more active about asking people to test new versions in support
> channels (#fedora/users list/forums) and have an easy to understand
> landing point for them on the wiki to find out more.
>
> b) Try and solicit testers in area specific channels (kde lists,
> proftpd users, etc). "Anyone here using X on fedora? here's how you can
> help us out: ..."
>
> c) Provide better test cases to allow casual users to test the updates
> in vm's or the like.

Or add more test automation? We've already got a framework for that.

> * Stop shipping N-2 / N-1 sooner. If no one is using them, why ship
> Âthem?

I mentioned that Fedora contributors who provide update feedback might
not be using n-1, that doesn't mean we don't have n-1 users.
Users who care enough about updates to send feedback probably also
upgrade every 6 months to run the latest version of stuff. Yet this is
not the case of the average user.

> * focus on 'high/important' updates with what testing we have. Would
> Âneed some way to note or mark them however.

Or move to security-only for n-1?