Re: Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17)

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> So, there are no folks in the KDE sig using F13 anymore?
>>
>> Perhaps call for testers in the users / kde lists?
>
> I think this issue goes far, far beyond just KDE. There are packages which
> have few users even for Fedora n, let alone n-1.

That may be pure speculation, but it seems that Fedora contributors
testing updates only use Fedora n because they tend to upgrade as soon
as the next release is available. We have a few choices, including:
* actively deciding that n-1 will receive less updates than n (good, I
think, because the worst kinks should be hammered out of a distro in 6
months anyway, so that leaves more or less security).
* pushing updates for n-1 no matter what testing they've had (bad).
Any other option I haven't thought of?

> Yet another example of the update processes delaying an update for ages is
> the recent libgsf update
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libgsf-1.14.18-1.fc13 , which was
> stuck for a month until the maintainer sent a nagmail to this mailing list
> (a method to get provenpackager attention which doesn't really scale).
> (libgsf is critpath due to being a dependency of something critical, so it
> gets the extra-hardcore policy.)

The bug was only opened more than four months after f13 was released.
My interpretation is that not many users were impacted, and therefore
living another month with it was acceptable.

FranÃois