Re: Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

> Er, whut? I didn't post anything advocating people use Rawhide for
> day-to-day purposes. I wouldn't suggest such a thing. All I said was
> that I haven't noticed the speed difference between debug and non-debug
> kernels, because I haven't. I know it's measurably present, but it
> doesn't affect any of my typical usage visibly.

People are recommending it for people who want the latest software.
Which isn't what Rawhide is for (based on all information I've read
and know about it).

We seem to have users who want less updates and no changes. We also
have users who want to be on the forefront of change. I think everyone
could be helped by making it easier to use repos for non savvy users.
It would keep the main repo focused on stable software for users who
are afraid of change. The alternate repos would be available for the
more adventurous users or developers. Rawhide is for testers and
developers. I don't think anyone sane uses Rawhide for 'production
use' or even 'general purpose use' unless testing.

Some people also pointed out another interesting tidbit and that is
proprietary video drivers. Some of us use them and want to be able to
use them. We wouldn't be using a rawhide kernel if it won't load the
modules. I assume users of proprietary kernel drivers would have to
set it up in f13 with rpmfusion and nvidia-akmod first before
upgrading to rawhide.