Re: Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:58:53PM -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> 2010/9/20 MichaÅ Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > 2010/9/21 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >> As the concept of using third party repositories (both as packagers and as
> >> users) grows, this interdependence will grow.
> >
> > Ok, so maybe it's time to setup Fedora "backports" repo for these that
> > wants new and shiny Firefox 4, PostgreSQL 9 or whatever with big
> > number.
>

> What exactly is the fear here with these updates? Are there many
> desktop users who do NOT want the latest released Firefox? Are there
> many people using Fedora as their OS for their database server?

Maybe we should turn this around and ask why more people don't
use Rawhide.

I use Rawhide on my laptop and one of my servers, so I'll tell you the
answer to this: because critical components such as the kernel are
often broken.  IME this is because there is no testing of these
components before they get pushed out, and also the kernel developers
ignore bug reports.

This is reasonably easy to fix: we should do some testing and withhold
packages from Rawhide if they don't pass some basic sanity checks
(eg. does it boot, can an X server be started).

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top