Re: fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Once upon a time, Sven Lankes <sven@xxxxxxx> said:
> Also - and this is a question that I have asked myself and others a
> couple of times - if you could implement Fedora the way you want: What
> unique selling points are left for Fedora? "Fedora is Ubuntu with rpm"
> sounds about as bad as "Fedora is broken most of the time" (not that I
> feel it is).

I guess I've never been concerned about "unique selling points".  Why
should it be "Fedora is Ubuntu with RPM", instead of "Ubuntu is Fedora
with DEB"?  IIRC Fedora came first (and certainly RHL came before
Ubuntu, although Debian was little before RHL).

I like Fedora because it is free and Free.  The development is handled
by a community, not just a single company.  Also, RHEL is developed out
of Fedora, and I use RHEL on my servers at work, so Fedora is a bit like
a window into the future of RHEL.

I first moved from Slackware to RHL (3.0.3 in 1996!) after having built
a system of my own from the ground up (compiling everything from source
manually, keeping notes along the way).  I appreciated how RPM worked
immediately after that experience.  When I found bugs and emailed them
to Red Hat, somebody fixed them.  Once RH BZ was set up, I opened a
bunch of early bugs (5 of the first 60, several including patches), and
generally got a good response.  I worked with the RHL Betas for a few
years, until this crazy experiment of a community distribution called
Fedora came along.

I like the release schedule of Fedora, but I don't like the idea of each
release continuing to be a rolling update target.  I don't really
understand why about six months (or less if you didn't install on
release day) is such a horrible wait to make big changes to the system.

If the up-to-six month wait is the problem, I'd rather see more releases
(e.g. "Fedora 14.1: Now with GNOME3!") with more targeted/focused
changes.  That's probably not practical with the available manpower
however.

Why do we need to be concerned about being similar to or different from
Ubuntu?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>