Re: systemd and changes

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 05:25:17AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > When there's a compelling use case for NetworkManager on machines that
> > don't move around?
>
> The "compelling use case" is that it doesn't make sense to maintain 2 pieces
> of core infrastructure code doing the same thing, especially when one's
> functionality is a subset of the other's. (Now the problem is that it still
> isn't, which I hadn't been aware of before this discussion, hopefully the
> missing stuff like bridging will get added to NM soon, and hopefully there
> won't be another missing piece "everyone" will be complaining about (before,
> it was systemwide settings, static IPs and IPv6, those are all implemented
> now AFAIK).)

Does it support setting "ip rule" commands if an interface is up?
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/settings-spec-08.html
Did not show this. And it seems not to be able to create tun or tap
devices, which requires only a small ifup-tun script with the old
system.

> And FWIW, strictly speaking, there's a compelling use case for NM on a
> machine that doesn't move around: If the network plug is in another room and
> you don't want to extend a 20m cable through 2+ doors, you have to use
> wireless networking. If you want to use something secure, you cannot rely on
> unencrypted wireless or WEP, you have to use WPA (or WPA2) with AES/CCMP
> (warning: TKIP is also insecure!). But the old network service does not
> support WPA. You either have to apply an unofficial patch (which was never

With the old network service it was still possible to manually use
iwconfig and wpa-supplicant and therefore WPA. Or to create a OpenVPN
tunnel, which I would prefer more than using WPA in terms of security.
But with NetworkManager running, the command line tools usually do not
work as expected.

Regards
Till