Re: "Staying close to upstream"

Jesse Keating wrote:
> You're making an assumption here that it's the trademarks that prevent
> any deviation from upstream, when in fact the maintainer has stated many
> times that regardless of trademarks, he would not deviate from upstream
> given the sensitivity of a software suite that has to connect to the
> wild wild web.  The maintenance burden of upstream deviation is greater
> than the maintainer would like to undertake, as is the risk of security
> issues and stability.

But the end effect is:
* Firefox, Thunderbird and xulrunner are the ONLY packages in the whole
Fedora which are NOT open to provenpackager! (The reason given: trademarks.)
IMHO this shows that the exception process which allows closing packages to
provenpackager is useless and needs to be abolished, the problem is with
those particular packages.
* This policy of sticking religiously to upstream means we are not shipping
KDE integration for Firefox, despite patches from openSUSE existing. This
makes Firefox suck under KDE. Our Firefox maintainers refuse to do anything
about it.

In addition, trademarks are often given as one of the reasons they stick so
closely to upstream when we complain about that, by the very same
maintainers who then claim it's not about trademarks when we want to get the
trademarks removed. Their position is not consistent: if we ask for non-
upstream changes, they say the trademarks forbid them so they can't do
anything, if we ask for getting the trademarks removed, they say that it
wouldn't change anything anyway. Either they're just using the trademarks as
an excuse for their laziness, or the trademarks are the problem and need to
be removed, it's one or the other.

        Kevin Kofler