Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Once upon a time, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> No I am just saying that a change isn't bad because it is a change.

And others (like me) are just saying that a change isn't good because it
is new.

There's a middle ground that needs to be found, but repeating either of
"change==bad" or "new==good" doesn't help.

IMHO, systemd seems to cram a bunch of existing things (init, inetd,
chkconfig, service, pstree, etc.) together, and the assumption is that
this is new and good. I don't really agree.  For example, if on-demand
activation for socket-based services is the way to go, why has everybody
abandonded that model by moving away from inetd?  Having init directly
manage services came before sysVinit (hello /etc/inittab), but nobody
uses that anymore either.

Also, hasn't starting lots of services in parallel been tried before and
found to thrash the system, actually slowing down boot instead of
speeding it up?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>