Re: jack2

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 10:04 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> >> For F-13 it may be a little late. So shall we make this an F-14 target?
> > I see new commit to the koji. Thanks for working on jack2, but the
>
> No problem. Although I was the one collecting the pieces, it was
> rather a collective work. Thanks to everyone who is involved. We need
> to do some testing now, and clean up the glitches before F-14.
>
> > question is why the package name is jack-audio-connection-kit? As far
> > as I know the package name should be derived from the main tarball
> > name.
> >

> I thought about doing that once. Jack1's and jack2's source codes are
> distributed on the same website [1],  We know that JACK stands for
> Jack-Audio-Connection-Kit.  So there shouldn't be any confusion.
>
> Sadly, there is no unique agreement on the package name across
> distribution. As far as I know, we were the only distro distributing
> jack1 under the full name "jack-audio-connection-kit". There is also a
> very different project called jack [2], although we don't have it on
> Fedora. This adds more to the subtlety as Mandriva distributes this
> jack as just "jack".
>
> What do other maintainers think?

"jack-audio-connection-kit" is the official name of the project and it
has been the suggested name for packages - I could try to dig through my
very old email and find an email from Paul on the subject. I have used
that name since 2001 or so (version 0.37) - I may have been one of the
first if not the first to package Jack as part of Planet CCRMA.

The jack1 tarball is actually named "jack-audio-connection-kit", not
"jack". As mentioned above jack2 is a different code base that
implements the same "official" jack API and was developed independently.
Its developer chose to name the tarball jack (I don't know why, we could
ask).

Who knows what the future could bring. I certainly don't know :-)
When/if jack2 becomes the official jack maybe the tarball will change to
jack-audio-connection-kit. Of jack1 could evolve, supplant the current
jack2 as the next version, and the tarball would still be
jack-audio-connection-kit. I would keep the current name.

-- Fernando