Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 23:19 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 14.07.10 17:01, James Antill (james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >  But your runlevel is not a service configuration, so I see no reason
> > why you couldn't say "if there is an 'id:blah:' line in inittab that's
> > authoritative .... if not, use default".
>
> Well, I want people to use the new thing and have the new logic
> auhtoritative. I don't want to keep the old cruft around forever.

 Sure, but this is not a case of you having to decide between "do the
old thing forever" or "break it now".
 Do it as:

1. Leave /etc/inittab functionally as it is in Fed-13, with 3 and 5
doing the obvious thing and the big comment saying stuff about systemd
instead of upstart. If people want to opt. in to "the new way" they can
just cp /dev/empty /etc/inittab.

2. For F-15 or F-16 change inittab to be:

id:default:initdefault:

...and have anaconda write that out and configure using a symlink
instead. Users can still change it to 3 or 5, or whatever ... but if
they don't it'll work as though inittab doesn't exist (the "new" way).

3. At some point you remove support for parsing inittab, so people have
to configure using symlinks ... some people will still not like you
removing free compat. code, but assuming you wait a few years at least
"everything" will support "the new way".