Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering (mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> Well, I don't think we want to support both. I believe F14 should be
> systemd and only systemd, but we want the option to revert to upstart
> should that not work out.
>
> I am very much interested to get upgraded systems to use systemd as
> well, which is why I'd really like to go the Obsoletes way, and use a
> versioned Obsoletes, so that we can switch back to upstart if we want to
> by another versioned Obsoletes, but this time from upstart. (which is
> exactly what James Antill proposed in his mail)
>
> Or in other words: I'd like to make this switch for the whole distro,
> not leave it to the individual machines.
>
> So, unless there is really strong opposition to the Obsoletes approach
> I'd go on and do the switch?

If we're at the... 95% coverage case, I guess. What I don't want is that
machines suddenly stop booting with no recourse other than init=/bin/bash
and manual recovery. There are some side cases that would be nice to either
have working, or documenting that they're not done yet (serial consoles,
assorted other things.)

> > I suspect the biggest issue here is confined daemons, as they may
> > not have permissions to create their own directories in /var/run or
> > /var/lock once they've been started. Unfortunately, it's the sort of
> > flag day that we really can't do unless everything in our tree is fixed.
>
> Well, a temporary and kind of ugly fix could be to add lines like the
> following into the systemd service files for these services.
>
>  ExecStartPre=-/bin/mkdir -p -Z foo_t /var/run/foo
>
> Or something like that. And for service which continue to use SysV
> scripts something similar is easily thinkable in the init scripts.

Hardcoding foo_t is bad if they ever switch policy (MLS, etc.). But
it is an option.

Bill