Re: concept of package "ownership"

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:17:38 -0700
Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/1/10 6:18 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > I think we need to get rid of the concept of ownership entirely,
> > that'd also make orphaned or de-facto orphaned packages less of a
> > problem. You see a problem, you fix it. Who cares whether the
> > package has an active maintainer or not?
>
> While I agree that package "ownership" should not feel possessive, I
> do strongly feel that there still should be some single person (or
> team I suppose...) who is ultimately responsible for the package.  A
> place for bug reports, for autoqa activity, for reviewing potential
> patches and changes from other people, etc...

Agreed. While wandering provenpackagers or whoever can assist with
sticky issues, there needs to be a group of people who manage bugs,
build a relationship with upstream, follow upstream development, etc.

So, while I think we should try and reduce the possessiveness of
"owning" packages, we still need a group of stewards or whatever for
packages.

kevin