Re: Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I am saying that SOME updates can be pushed with less or even no testing.
> This does NOT mean that testing should not be used in most cases. It just
> means that it should be the maintainer's discretion whether to use it or
> not. The maintainer knows best how to handle his/her package. A dumb tool
> automatically enforcing some generic rules which are the same for all
> packages does not. And distinguishing 2 classes of packages (critical and
> non-critical) out of our thousands of packages doesn't change this in the
> least.

Fedora security updates are regularly given no testing and are pushed
directly to stable. Perhaps you should classify your updates with a
severity of security.

Why should you abuse the system? Because the system is abusing you.

While I (and Kevin!) agree that testing is useful, as I became more
involved after the dbus debacle, the freedom of packagers to handle
their packages freely should be maintained. The recent upswing in
policies and requirements is clouding Fedora's vision.