Re: Java development on Fedora

Yes, I am replying to myself.  No, I'm not psychotic!

Recently, I noticed that gcc's SRPM contains libswt-gtk2.spec. However, I have not yet seen this package in Fedora's development packages. Is this package on its way?

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. Libswt-gtk2.spec is not included in gcc's SRPM. But I'm still very curious to hear if anyone hopes to package libswt-gtk2 for Fedora seperatly from eclipse. I've now used libswt- gtk2 to write a few simple test applications (without eclipse) and it seems to work -- at least for simple tasks.

Also, are there any plans to configure gcc with --enable-java- awt=gtk? My understanding is that this is required to get the GTK2 AWT peer built. Currently, I can't execute gcj-built AWT code natively or using gij. However, Sun's JVM will execute the same gcj- built AWT code fine. I understand that gcj's AWT is under development but I would like to be able to help test.

Some other items of interest: gnome-java and gcjwebplugin (which I see has an @redhat.com contributing to it). Any chance these will make it into Fedora Rawhide soon?

I know that Red Hat has been working on Java-related projects a lot, but there is little talk of it on the Fedora side of things. Perhaps we could get a Java project listed at http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/?

--
Mike