Re: PROPOSAL: Fedora user survey

On 03/09/2010 06:20 PM, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 05:55:33PM +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:

>>> You should consider running a RHEL rebuild like Scientific Linux or
>>> CentOS then; they're very Fedora-like in most respects, and are
>>> supported for very, very long periods.
>>>
>> The trouble is that Fedora does not want to lose this user or group of
>> users.
>>
> I don't think it's about the users so much as the uses; I run Fedora on
> machines it's suitable for, and SL where that's a better fit. I am not
> lost to Fedora. Equally Al Dunsmuir clearly also has multiple systems
> (hence wanting to keep one distribution); so there's no reason to think
> they couldn't do the same.
>
>> If all of the users that use Fedora for reasonably important
>> tasks (not mission critical) stop using it, it will lose all of the
>> real use testing and feedback to upstream developers that Fedora is
>> good for and Linux needs.
>>
> I use Fedora for important things, both by home and work desktops run
> it, I just don't use it for things that I expect to run for a long time
> without interruption or intervention or alteration.
>
>> My feeling is that is likely to be happening ...
>>
>> I think Fedora should have a carefully balanced position between the
>> mission critical systems and completely play only systems.
>>
> I think that's a false dichotomy; Fedora shouldn't be a bad system
> unsuitable for real work, it should be a good system. But it can still
> be a good fast-moving system. There doesn't seem much purpose in trying
> to turn it into a good stable long running server system, when we have a
> perfectly good one of those already.
>
> Clearly, if there was a way to have Fedora's 'freshness', but RHEL's
> lack of hassle that would be ideal, but it's not clear that there is.
>
> Ewan
I agree with you, except that I think Fedora's balance has moved a bit
to far in the fast-moving, frontier direction. I also use Fedora
for home servers and workstations at work and have done so for many years.
I also use RHEL/CentOS for stable mission critical systems.
However I am finding that Fedora is getting to unstable, too frontier
and hard to maintain even for the purposes I use it. My home customers
(the wife and kids :) ) are now starting to complain!
I can see users like myself moving to Ubuntu or other systems. If this
is the case Fedora will lose some of it's testing community and probably
the best testing group.

Terry