Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

On 11/20/2009 06:54 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 11/20/2009 11:20 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
"Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user
experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices"
That's what the marketing department wants it to be.

Meh. You said the target of the spin is not netbooks but it clearly is.

You violently don't want to understand.

The moblin stuff is a different use-case, primarily addressing the very low end of HW, which is competing with SmartPhones, the XOs and the like.

I am talking about is people using netbook/nettops as "secondary desktops" for "normal usage".

Reality speaks a different language:
* People are using their everyday desktop even on low end machines and
do not want to fiddle around with "custom netbooks desktops".
* People consider their low end machine's performance sufficient for
such use-cases.

I am not sure why I should accept your version of reality over any
other. Any references to back up your claims?

It's what I am using netbooks for, everybody around me uses netbooks for, what newpapers tell and what I can buy in stores. The mass of "Atom based" machines you can buy around here either have "Win XP" preinstalled or meanwhile occasionally come with Win7.

Linux based netbooks/nettops can hardly be found in stores anywhere.

The essentially the same rationale/reason why netbooks/nettops with
WinXP have been a huge success and why netbooks with "custom desktops"
were a failure.

Actually, netbooks represent one of the highest market shares for Linux
on the client side and nany of them are running custom desktops

Well you'll likely find a static proving anything.

All I can say, my netbook easily outperforms many "older desktops" and is quite suiteable for everyday office- and home use-cases, using an ordinary Fedora setup. I don't have any use for Moblin and consider Moblin to be a waste of resources.

Ralf