Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Anders Rayner-Karlsson wrote:
* Giancarlo Niccolai <gc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [20090331 12:20]:
it may be educated enough to try it. But it is not like that an X session hang so bad that you have to ctrl-alt-bs it will allow you to CAF1-6 at all, or will let you to do anything meaningful with it (i.e. bash may not be able to get the resources to start). When you HAVE to CABs, it's because you CAN'T CAF1-6.

(There was my two cents, so don't expect me to join in this convo; I just wanted to correct your assumption that you may CAF1-6 away a situation in which you have to CABs, which is wrong, as another poster pointed out).

IIRC, and I believe that was pointed out in this thread as well, is
that these keypresses are handled in the same way by the same part of
the X server. If C-A-Bs works, so will C-A-F2 to drop you at a vc.
Not quite. It does so often, but not always, because when C-A-Fn is pressed, some memory ( ... file descriptors, inodes etc.) needs to be allocated and be swapped around to launch a console.

In case of heavy "memory-hog races", this can easily fail or it may take a long time.

Through past experience, I have never found an instance (since moving
from XFree86 to Xorg) where the Xserver was wedged in a way that
switching to a vc did not work, but C-A-Bs did.
I've been in such situations many times ;)

I have seen plenty of
X lockups (Xorg intel driver issues in F10) in the last few months and
not a single one of those were resolvable by C-A-Bs.
Try a classical multi-user workstation-pools setup with "C-A-F<N>" disabled - Then, there is no C-A-Fn to press, while a C-A-BS would simply kill the user's logging and bring him back to his login.

Another case where this does't work is when switching from "x-terminal" to console leaves the console in some unusable state (e.g. when pressing C-A-Fn come up with a "black screen" or with a "fly-dirt screen" because of some bugs some where).

Ralf